Improved Macro Flash!

After doing a lot of reading on macro flash and diffusion materials, I think I’ve finally hit on a good configuration.

  1. I’ve got a straight flash arm attached to the tripod socket on the bottom of the camera.
  2. On the opposite end of the arm, I’ve got a ballhead.
  3. On the ballhead, I’ve got a flash cable on which is mounted my Sigma flash.
  4. On the flash is a disposable plastic food container lined with aluminum foil.  On the bottom is cut an aperture into which the flash head is inserted.

The diffusion material was a real bear.  Lots of things diminished the flash output without meaningfully diffusing the light.  Today I went to OfficeMax and bought a box of foam packing sheets of the sort placed between plates when moving household goods.  I used two sheets held onto the container with velcro strips fastened over the foam and around the opening.  After trial and error, the flash was eventually set to 1/64.

Now to rustle up some house spiders…